Tuesday, July 4, 2017

4th of July Book Sale



Every year on Independence Day, people cook out, watch fireworks, and go to parades. 

I go to the 4th of July book sale. 

no kidding, schuyler. i would never have guessed. 

Last year, I missed our traditional book sale due to an absolutely spectacular vacation--but this year it was back to tradition, and while I normally go with my mom and sister, this year I happened to go solo. 

finding parking, tho. turn signals are important, friends. otherwise you go on windy roads trying to turn around. 

While I forgot the ideal water bottle and sunscreen, I did have a totebag to hold the books. And money. Always money. It's fun when you know that part of your paycheck is going for books. Let it be known I was $1 under budget, which I thought showed Grand Self-Control. 

Seventeen new little paper friends. Here's what I found: 

Around the World In 80 Days, Jules Verne
We only owned this on audiobook, which is terrible because it's such an awesome story. Mistake rectified. 

Boundaries, by Henry Cloud and John Townsend 
I'm reading a library copy, but it's good enough to have my own. More articles on this book forthcoming. 

The Jungle Books, Rudyard Kipling
I've read book one on Kindle. Now on to book 2. 

Dogwood, by Chris Fabry
We're reading Fabry's June Bug aloud right now, and it's fantastic. An absolutely creative story premise that  I can't wait to find out the end of. I'm looking forward to more of his fiction. 

The Silmarillion, by J.R.R Tolkien
I own a really nice hardback, but I thought a paperback I could use without kid gloves and travel with would come in handy. 

The Dean's Watch, Elizabeth Goudge. 
I've heard grand things of her, and can't wait to dive in. 

Holmes for the Holidays--various
I checked these out from our local library years ago, and heartily enjoyed them. Absolute fun to have them in my own collection. 

The Bourne Supremacy, by Robert Ludlum
Bourne sounds super cool--I've heard of the movies and didn't know they were books. Caveat--I picked this book up because it was $1 and have no clue about its merits or the appropriateness of its content. So stay tuned for a more informed review. 

At Home in Mitford, A Light in the Window, These High Green Hills, and Out to Canaan--Jan Karon
Four novels in the Mitford series. Best modern fiction ever.

Pigs Have Wings and Brinkley Manor, by P.G. Wodehouse 
Unfortunately, I already know the story of Brinkley Manor, which was kind of disappointing because I like fresh Jeeves stories. But tis all right. 

Flame of Resistance, The Brother's Keeper, Stones of My Accusers, by Tracy Groot 
After Maggie Bright, I'm picking up every Tracy Groot I can get my hands on. And Flame of Resistance comes recommended, so yay! 

This is what I'm most excited about....

The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Steadman
Not only is the cover beautiful, but I've heard good things about this novel, and I can't wait to discover it. 

Signing off, folkies. It's been a good day. What did you do for the 4th of July? 

9 comments:

  1. Lovely book haul, Schuyler!!

    Dean's Watch! I love what I have read of Elizabeth Goudge so much so far. I own Dean's Watch but I haven't started reading it yet, so I am excited to hear what you think 😊

    Ooh Light Between Oceans!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, it personally was a beautiful read 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I second this! Light Between Oceans is fab and has the most LOVELY score!

      Delete
    2. @Joy--can you believe, I've never read Elizabeth Goudge? I can't wait to give her a try! Do you have a favorite title so far?

      I am so excited about LBO!!! That was the BEST find, and it sounds really beautiful.

      Delete
    3. @Evangeline--it's incredible! I heard it for the first time today.

      Delete
    4. The Bird in the Tree by Elizabeth Goudge was pretty good too.

      Delete
  2. Let me know what you think of Dean's Watch and The Light Between Oceans! Saw the movie version of LBO, but have only looked through the book. Sounds like you had a lovely Fourth! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLY want to see LBO. The soundtrack is so beautiful, and it looks like a really good one in a haunting, sad way. I can't wait to read it and discuss with you! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...