Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Happy Birthday, Terry! // Beautiful People: March


I have 3 particularly close characters in War of Loyalties. Terry (aka Turlough O'Sean, but no one calls him that) is one of them. He's a 36-year-old Irish American who has a sweetly cheery companionship for his friends and a surprisingly effective left hook for his enemies. Today is his birthday, and if anyone deserves a birthday celebration it's him, because he pretty much nailed every one of his scenes from draft 1. I honestly didn't have to edit him much.

He's a sweetheart like that. (in the beginning, anyway) 

If he were in the Star Wars universe, he would totally be a BB8 droid companion for Poe Dameron.

help me find my poe. he is lost. *sad beep* I FOUND MY POE. *happy beep* 

(Neither Terry nor I are totally with it after the time change, so please excuse us.)

In celebration, we have some fantastic Beautiful People questions by Cait from Paper Fury. Be sure to join the link-up with a character of your own before the month of March is over!

Now I'll turn it over to Terry. Forgive him if he talks about his Acushla too much. He is a fellow of a one-track mind.

What’s your favourite book/movie/play/etc.?
Terry: I don't think I've read a book since highschool. They were always pretty boring. I just have people tell me what I need to know when I chat with them. And I don't know what a movie is. 

Me: If you had ever seen a movie, you would like Star Wars or Pixar movies. 

Terry: Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but I reckon. I've been to some pretty bad stage plays at the school my sister taught for, and they're kind of boring. No one likes me whispering what I think in the middle of them. 

Is there anything you regret doing?
Terry: Um. Well. I always regret not writing my mother more. Half the time I leave her wondering where in the world I am and what I'm up to--but I'm always alive, you know? So there's really nothing to worry about, and I'll write her tonight, I promise. I should probably visit home again one of these years, I kind of regret not. And not telling them about my sister.  

Me: And kissing someone without permission. 

Terry: I don't regret that. I had permission of the soul in spite of what the words said. 

If you were sick or wounded, who would take care of you and how?
Terry: Oh, no, never in this world. I don't need to be taken care of, and Ben and Jaeryn are fussy doctors who want everything clean and medically sanitized and recovery time, and I hate it when they do that. 

Me: So I take it you've been hurt before.... 

Is there an object you can’t bear to part with and why?
Terry: I have a nice knife with a Celtic cross on the handle for defense, and I will never no never be parted with it. I also have a pretty nifty sapphire ring, that I will only be parted with to give to my Acushla, but I gave it to someone else for safekeeping and I'm not sure when I'm going to get it back. 

Me: That kind of destroyed the definition of parting with it, Terry. 

What are 5 ways to win your heart (or friendship)?
Terry: Here, I made a list. 
1. Being Acushla. 
2. Talking about Acushla. 
3. Acting like Acushla. 
4. Cooking like Acushla. 
5. Being related to Acushla. 

Me: *cough* That's an awful lot of Acushla, Terry laddie. 

Describe a typical outfit for you from top to bottom.
Terry: White shirt, that kinda isn't white anymore. I need to do laundry again. Sleeves rolled up. Work pants, probably brown or grey. Worn, scuffed-up shoes, and maybe matched socks if I happen to find them, but they're all dark colored, so no one would notice if they weren't.  

What’s your favorite type of weather?
Terry: I like a bit of nip in the air. Something on the verge of winter, with good weather. It keeps the German agents indoors in front of the fire and gives me more time to meander around and relax. 

What’s the worst fight you’ve ever been in?
Terry: A locked room in a cellar on the night of a harvest moon. I gave it to 'em good to get out of there. 

What names or nicknames have you been called throughout your life?
Terry: I get called Terry all the time. Like a dog or something. If I say something wrong, it's a scolding voice, and if I do something nice, it's a fond voice, and if I'm about to do something they don't think is a good idea, it's a warning voice. People get shook up by what I want to do so often, I just stopped listening to them after a while. I live with people who worry a lot. Jaeryn and that new doc were barely out of spoon feeding and nappies when I left home, and they still think they're smarter than me. 

Me: Terry, they were a little older than that.... 

What makes your heart feel alive?
Me: Don't say Acushla. Say something else. 
Terry: But it's true! And it's my birthday. I can say whatever I want. 
Me: That doesn't give people a very well-rounded portrait of you, Terry. 
Terry: I think they get the general idea by now. I'm going to go hang out with my friends. And eat something good for supper. I notice you pay attention to Jaeryn's poor starved bachelor existence and you've never once mentioned what I go through. 
Me: I just didn't even think of it, you poor boy. Have the happiest of birthdays with the best of Irish food. You deserve to live until your eleventy-first birthday, and we couldn't be satisfied with anything less. 

8 comments:

  1. Quoting Schuyler-friend, "That's an awful lot of Acushla, Terry laddie." But Happy Birthday, old chap! I hope you have all the splendid delights of the day, including time spent with your beloved Acushla ;). Oooh, and you should totally go and watch a Star Wars movie, Terry. It would be just your thing.

    P.S. I watched Star Wars "Force Awakens" this weekend... so I knew who BB8 and Poe were. *fist-pumps* XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could not be restrained. XD He would insist on talking about her, in spite of my best efforts.

      PS. Yaaay! I LOVE BB8! Must chat with you about it. <3

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERRY!!! I hope you have a fantastic day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Terry, we love you so much...you loyal, laughable Irish sunbeam in this grey and dreary world! All the best on your birthday, laddie.

    ~A friend of Acushla ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry is so happy at the idea of being a sunbeam. If he can just be that, he will be completely satisfied. <3

      Delete
  4. "I also have a pretty nifty sapphire ring, that I will only be parted with to give to my Acushla, but I gave it to someone else for safekeeping and I'm not sure when I'm going to get it back.

    Me: That kind of destroyed the definition of parting with it, Terry."

    I laughed so unexpectedly at that line that I sort of choked on the apple I was eating.

    Terry sounds like a nice guy, even if he has a bit of tunnel-vision problem *cough*. That /is/ a lot of Acushla, and we don't even have the benefit of knowing who she is!

    I like the teddy-bear sorts who also are surprisingly fierce at fighting.

    https://ofdreamsandswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that has to be one of my top 3 favorite answers in this post. XD It was so funny.

      Acushla, I'm afraid, is Terry's cute little sweetheart who he takes an almost smothering interest in. She is starved for love, and judging by this post he has a ton to give. XD

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...